Friday, January 29, 2010

Wadi Halfa to Desert Camp(s)

Day 12- 150km

Frantic morning. After two days with my bags on and off of trucks and the ferry ride I seem to have forgotten how to camp! Ahh. It is so stressful in the morning - wake up, roll up sleeping bag, roll of thermarest, put away cot, get dressed, get water, get energy drinks, get breakfast, load locker on truck, check bike...that probably doesn't sound stressful but I have to get up 45 minutes earlier than the wake up call to get it all done if I want to sit with a cup of coffee for five minutes - but I am figuring it out!

I am still feeling my achilles and rode part of the morning alone and was joined by Laura along the way. Along the way we were joined by some of the boys and another female rider and pace lined it to lunch. After lunch we found a little "coke stop" (which really is some guy selling soft drinks along the road) and we pulled in.....it was a little too soon after lunch so I set out alone and again Laura caught up to me. We rode the last 50km together talking, taking videos and just enjoying the ride. Most of us try to kick it out in the morning and head out in good time after lunch because by 11am the temperature goes up about 1 degree ever 20 minutes and by 1-2pm it is at least 33-35 degrees. Dry, dry heat. As we climbed our last hill towards the desert camp we thought we were in an oasis - there were palm trees and vegetation (we road with rock, sand and rock as our landscape all morning). We were surprised to find ourselves back on the Nile. It was quite a sight. At camp there was lovely soup waiting and I set up my tent and cleaned my bike. Local children gathered around and arrived on donkeys to watch us clean our chains and drive trains. This seems like such a calm country and the people are so friendly which is so different from the media reports we get about the rest of Sudan. I am so pleased to be here and see a totally different side to this country.

Day 13 - 150km

Two 150km days back to back is tough in the desert. But I was feeling better yesterday (on Day 13) and once again I joined the boys in one of the race groups. After lunch the pace line was all over the place 10-12 strong but with riders are of various abilities so the speed varied from 32-38km per hour down to 26km depending on who was pulling and it felt like I was riding a yo-yo so I broke from the group (and kind of broke the group rules - oops!) and pull away on my own. Two of the boys, Tim (American) and Tony chased me down and we rode together for about 8km. Those guys are fast though and with only three of us I couldn't hold their 37/38km pace so dropped off and rode the last 30km to camp alone. I didn't think I would decide to ride alone much on this trip but it was a long straight road and I knew there were riders close behind so I took the opportunity for some quiet time to reflect on the first two weeks of riding and really enjoyed the time to myself. As you can probably imagine there isn't much alone time on this trip and even in the tent I don't really feel alone in the camp. I have always kind of been a lone rider so riding alone was a nice change. As per usual James, the cook, prepared a delicious dinner and we had a bonfire that night - an attempt to keep people up after 7:30pm! It worked and everyone socialized around the camp fire. I am enjoying getting to know more people and have found a few peeps to hang out with on a regular basis - some that I ride with and others that I see only in the afternoon/evening at camp. There are some people I don't talk to and/or I don't even know their names. In such a big group that just seems to be the way it is. People have their own reasons for being here I suppose. I am feeling happier and happier to be in Sudan. Thankfully I am feeling good (no stomach problems yet - fingers crossed) and the achilles is still a pain but I am trying to deal with it.

A big hello to everyone and thanks for reading my blog. I do hope to get some photos up soon.

Day 14 - 109km

We left the desert camp today heading to Dongola and I decided to take it easy again today - that seems to be my way - one day racing, one day expedition and I think I will probably keep it that way. I checked the race results and I am still 3rd by over 7 hours behind the two lead women. That's okay it is a long race and I have no expectations at all. I am just going to try to keep on riding. The ride today into Dongola was good. We are camping at the Dongola Zoo but there are no animals there? Whatever - this is Africa - it doesn't need to make sense. We set up camp and found a hose to have a "shower" it was great to wash my hair! And I did all my laundry which leaves tomorrow free - clean bike, relax and eat food. We found a local restaurant tonight and I ate a half a chicken, loads of falafels and Sudanese sweets/cakes. I don't have to worry about dropping the pounds yet - I am eating tonnes and trying to stay strong and healthy. Sudan is a dry country so no beer but not to worry I have replaced that with coke and 7-UP!

More news when I can get online again. Until Khartoum I imagine.

Jx

No comments:

Post a Comment