Thursday, April 1, 2010

Tanzania - Last Word and Images

The TDA has rolled into Malawi but I can't resist posting a few more photos from stunning Tanzania. That country is spectacular. It is hard to describe how incredibly beautiful that country is - my god it really is quite something. Our last ride in Tanzania was a non-race day and one of the best riding days on the tour. There seem to be more special rides these days. Or maybe I am just feeling so much better that I notice the scenery more and take the time to pause and reflect on the landscape and people. Jen says that I always seem to find something special about every ride - I think she is right. Even when I was suffering a little on the bike due to stomach problems I still found things to love on each ride. That being said - Tanzania was a pretty special riding section.

On the last day in Tanzania we started with a 15-20km climb and then it was all descents for close to 100km. WOW! I rode with my friend Steph and we had a great time! We stopped and took photos and laughed about the weird and wonderful things/people we spotted along the way. We saw a man riding a bike with one hand on the handlebars and one hand holding the back legs of a pig. Poor piggy - his front legs were over the bars - Pig on a Bike - hilarious (photo to follow). My favourite sighting that day was a woman walking up a hill with a 1950s Singer sewing machine on her head. I have seen lots of things on the women's heads but nothing as interesting as a sewing machine. I asked is I could take a photograph but she refused. That one will just have to be banked in our memories instead - like so many things.

Steph and I talked a lot that day about the tour, our relationships here, the riding and how strange it will be to return to the "real" world. We are now used to living this strange life - cycling every day, stopping for lunch on the side of the road, setting up our tents in the afternoon, lining up for dinner and chatting under the stars. I think we are all starting to think more about returning to our lives at home because we only have 6 weeks left and it feels like time is flying now.

I looked at a map today and was amazed when I saw how much of Africa we have cycled - whoa! Still there's still lots of riding to do. We are heading into the Malawi mountains and we still have more four countries after that to see and cycle. We are only just over half way in terms of kilometres so there's lots of work to come.

I am currently sitting in an open air beach bar at a gorgeous camp site hoping that this blog uploads and that you will get to see some more photos from Tanzania - fingers crossed.

Jx

No comments:

Post a Comment