Saturday, March 13, 2010

Wonderful Kenya

I can't say enough about Kenya - it really is wonderful. A German rider said that he loved Sudan because of the beautiful people and Ethiopia has the spectacular scenery and Kenya has BOTH!

Northern Kenya was, as previously posted, a challenge (I use the word "challenge" a lot). But after we got back on pavement and the sun came out - Kenya was pure cycling bliss. The rides have been such a pleasure - the landscape is lovely - lush and green and the people appear happy and I here "jambo" - hello - everywhere I go. Our camps have been at small hotels with patches of grass for our tents, showers and yes - beer (you can tell I love a cold beer - well most of you already know). We have had such a good time at our camps lately. And we crossed the Equator - that is pretty cool!

A couple of days ago I had my happiest day to date on tour. The riding was perfect. The temperature was a comfortable 18 degrees in the morning, warm sun and a beautiful 30 degrees in the afternoon with a slight breeze. There was more descents than climbs and my legs felt strong - for what felt like the first time since Khartoum, Sudan. I rode most of the day with the lovely German Ruben and Irish Paddy - two of my favourite boys. The ride was 104 km - just right!
We arrived at the camp down a 2km dirt road to a gorgeous riverside camp - lots of grass and shade. Some riders took are in a river rafting trip down the river but most of us sat on the grass and enjoyed a lazy afternoon. Dinner was a surprise BBQ - steak, mashed potatoes with bacon and veggies with a cheese sauce! Dinners like that are a treat. Steak - come on - loves it! Long gone are my vegetarian days.

The ride into Nairobi was a bit hairy. We rode 60km to lunch and then convoyed for 30km through chaotic markets and traffic. Then it was another 45km to the camp. The camp is owned by staff that work for the TDA and it has all the amenities - perfect for a rest day. After 2 months in everyone's letting loose a little - there was lots of drinking (and drinking games - I am still good at Quarters after 20 years!), laughing and late night antics which make for great morning after gossip.

My good friend Leah arrived this morning to join the tour for the Tanzania section which is really exciting. She looked a little dazed and confused when we pulled her bike out of the box but Rick jumped in and put on her bike rack and we got her bars and wheels back on so she's ready to roll. We purchased a few spare parts from a sectional rider because we had a couple of issues with her wheels but it all got sorted. I have traded a set of pedals for the lease of a tent so that Leah will have her own privacy and will have a place to go after a long day of riding. Initially we were going to share a tent but really when you can have your own space - why not!? The tour is stressful enough so it is nice to have your own place to go at night.

So Leah is off to a great start - she has met lots of people, had a few beers and will set off tomorrow for the first ride of this section, The Masai Steppe. We have two of riding and then we are off on a three day Safari in Tanzania! YAY! Three days off the bike and hopefully a chance to see more than just camels!

It is fun to have a friend to share this experience with - I will blog about our adventures in the coming days and will try to get more photos up.

Thanks again for checking in on Moderspinsta! I am half way through the tour and have covered over 5,000 km which is totally crazy and incredible. I am looking forward to the next two months. I have so much to look forward to at home but am certainly not wishing my time here away and am trying to enjoy everyday.

More to come!

Jx

No comments:

Post a Comment